Pages

Sunday 3 August 2014

Burda Style 07/2014 - 117 Tie Neck Top

I know a lot of people were disappointed with July's Burda and it is true there is a lot of dodgy stuff in it, but I decided to give this tie neck top a whirl which I think looks much better in the line drawings than in the photo.  Generally after my initial look through the magazine and a giggle at the flowery descriptions I ignore the photos and just refer to the line drawings.



Sticking with the black serger thread, I pulled out this knit from my stash, it has a subtle glitter running through it.  The wrong side of the fabric will show on this design unless you double up the collar/tie piece, but this may add a lot of bulk depending on the fabric.



On first reading I found the instructions utterly mind boggling.  It was only when I studied the line drawings and realised that one end of the neck tie is caught in the centre front seam with a loop to pull the other end through that the penny dropped.  I made a 38 with no adjustments and after my last Burda knit top disaster it was good to have no fit problems with this one.

The loop/tie portion does misbehave a bit and not stay where it is supposed to - or at least where I think it is supposed to - so I might go back and tack it down somewhere so I don't keep fussing with it.



I like how this turned out, the shaping is just right for a knit top, I'm still on the fence about whether the tie is too long and it does extend past the hem which is different to the line drawing.  The edges are unfinished so it's easy enough to lop a bit off the free end.  This is a one way decision though so I want to be sure - to chop or not to chop?


I also discovered a setting on my camera called "beautiful skin" which sounded good to me, but happily it does seem to be better at taking photos of dark clothing in not great light by using a soft flash.  When I force the flash indoors it is usually really harsh on the clothes (and makes me look like a scared red eyed alien) so this does seem to be an improvement, but weirdly when I don't look at the camera it turns my skin orange!

18 comments:

  1. It's a cute top. I vote for trimming the tie, especially if you're finding it fussy to wear. I reckon this one could be very versatile with the sparkly fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reviewing this. This top is the one thing I might make from this issue. I like your version. I like the extra long ties, but it could like fine with them shore too.
    I found the instructions very confusing when I read through them, and have so far not bothered to go any further with plans to actually make anything. Now that I've seen yours, though....
    -sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top looks great on you but if you are already bothered by the tie, give it a cut and tack it in place. I had a dress that I never bothered to wear because the side tie bugged me. This top is too nice to have that happen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this top. You've done a great job on it. I like the tie long but if it bothers you, cut it.
    I'm really pleased you worked out how to sew this top with the drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great top and good to see it made up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really cute little top. Nice in the black knit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great top, I like how the sleeves/extended shoulders flare out.I vote for trimming the tie unless tying it somehow is an option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great casual top. You can never have too many black tops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute top! I like how it looks with long tie, but I would probably find it really annoying, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the top too! And I vote with the others about cutting the tie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of this top - it turned out great. I also agree you should trim the tie. I can't believe those two photos are taken in the same - so bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This top is really lovely - but the tie is a bit too long, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, and it is so versatile. It can be dressed up on or down. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A dressed-up knit top is so useful, and this looks really good on you. I would trim the tie if it is annoying.
    Is your fabric a fine knit? I'm tempted to make this in a cotton/lycra but suspect it might need a more drapey fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this top and the line drawing makes it look more appealing. As others have noted perhaps the tie is a little too long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh sparkly! ☺ I think you should chop them but apart from that it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a theory that some knit tie necks hang longer - gravity effect! Chop it then you'll have perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this top. I haven't blogged about it but did post a picture on the Burdastyle website. I had difficulty finding a knit with two good sides. Love your subtle sparkly version. I do like my top and the tie as is. I was a bit puzzled about the instructions to use flat felled seams on the shoulders. But later thought it might have been to stiffen the seam so the shoulder stay extended and don't droop. I added that to my little bag of tricks.

    ReplyDelete