Pages

Friday 13 January 2017

BurdaStyle 09/2016 - 118 Long Waistcoat

This is one of two garments I made for my sister, now that Christmas has been and gone I can share them here. Not that I think she reads my blog, but I didn't want to risk it.  

I wanted the gifts to be a surprise, but I also don't know her exact measurements, just her sizing relative to mine so I chose patterns that weren't close fitting.


I loved this whole look in the magazine and may well make this for myself, it would be great for the between seasons weather we are having.


I used a lovely knit boucle in variegated black and white.  The pattern is easy to put together, I just changed a couple of things in the construction:
  • I used Sandra Betzina's Power Sewing book for the side seam pockets, the Burda instructions send you off to another pattern entirely which is understandable, but annoying.  I'd forgotten what a great book this is, her methods are always reliable.  My notes say that she has you sew the pockets first and then the side seam rather than stitching the pocket and side seam together. To be honest I don't know why one method works better than the other for me, it would be interesting to try both methods and compare them, but I find the SB method easier to get everything lining up and laying flat.
  • I added narrow belt loops into the side seams before sewing them instead of doing handworked ones at the end.

I wish I had paid attention when cutting the collar so that the stripe effect ran in the other direction, but otherwise I am really pleased with it and more importantly so is my sister!

I think you have to be a bit careful styling this so it doesn't look like a bathrobe, which it kind of does on my dressform and I didn't think to style it on there when taking these photos before gift wrapping it.  

I like how Burda has it over a dress and I think skinny pants and boots would also be good.  I've no idea what my sister has been doing, sorry I don't have any photos of her wearing it!











6 comments:

  1. Lucky sister! The fabric really adds extra interest to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of the long vest is very appealing and your sister is very lucky to have this one in her wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a long vest made like this in the late 70's. My mother made that and a pair of pants in a gray tweed for me, and I wore it often with a turtleneck sweater. I loved that outfit! It was warm, versatile and comfortable. I will have to get this pattern! Thanks, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky sister. You've used lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete